Bornholm, situated off the eastern shore of Denmark, is a delightful island with its one-of-a-kind landscape and culture and is frequently visited by tourists from all over the world for its stunning scenery, serene beaches, and scenic countryside.
However, while visiting this beautiful island, it is important to remember that certain behaviors should not be done.
Here are some of the things that are not allowed or discouraged in Bornholm:
- Swimming in Unauthorized Areas: Swimming in unauthorized areas can be dangerous due to strong currents and hidden rocks. Only swim in designated areas and be aware of signs that indicate areas where swimming is prohibited. Alternatively, you may consider taking a boat tour instead along the coast to take in the sights. JustBoats offers electric boat tours from the harbor in Rønne, Bornholm’s largest town. You can enjoy the beautiful sights and experience the natural beauty of the island from the comfort of a modern electric boat. You may visit their website at www.bornholmsbaadfart.dk and book your personalized boat trip to enjoy the majestic views of the isle.
- Exploring Nature without Permission: Even though natural areas are open to visitors, it is essential to get permission from landowners before exploring. Some areas are off-limits to visitors, so it is important to respect private property.
- Entering Military Grounds: Bornholm is home to a large military base, and entering the grounds without permission is strictly prohibited.
- Fishing without a License: Fishing is a popular pastime in the area, but you must have a valid fishing license to do so. Fishing without a license can result in fines or other legal penalties.
- Disrupting Marine Life: In addition to the stunning natural beauty, many species of dolphins, seals, and other marine animals live in the waters surrounding Bornholm. Please be aware of these while visiting the island, do not feed fish or other aquatic creatures, and avoid touching or disturbing them, always stay on designated paths.
- Littering: Littering is strictly prohibited and can result in fines. Bornholm has a natural beauty, and it should be respected. Littering spoils the island’s beauty and can be dangerous for wildlife. Bornholm is a stunning and unspoiled island, and it is important to keep it that way. Make sure to always dispose of your trash in the correct bins, and don’t leave any litter behind.
- Do not pick wildflowers – The wildflowers of Bornholm are beautiful but also fragile. Picking them not only destroys the island’s beauty but can also disrupt the natural environment.
- Do not drive recklessly – Driving too fast or recklessly on Bornholm’s roads can be dangerous for both you and other drivers. Follow the speed limits and drive carefully.
- Do not trespass – Many of the beaches on Bornholm are privately owned, and it is important to respect other people’s property. It is illegal to trespass on someone else’s land without permission and it can lead to a fine or even jail time.
- Do not drink and drive – Although the legal drinking age in Denmark is 16, the legal driving age is 18. It is illegal to drink and drive and doing so can lead to serious penalties.
Bornholm is a wonderful place to visit and explore, by following these guidelines, you can ensure that your trip to this amazing place is enjoyable and safe, and you can also help secure that the island stays as beautiful as it is today. Have a great time, and please respect the rules and regulations of the local community.